Monday, April 09, 2007

Kim (left) and Pat Wood at breakfast today in NY.
File under "P" for Pretentious

This is quite possibly the most pretentious sentence ever to come out of my mouth, er, fingers. "I had coffee with my agent in NY today."

To start the morning right, I had breakfast with Pat Wood, author of Lottery, due out in August! Do go to her site and read about this amazing book about a cognitively challenged man who wins the lottery. I had the pleasure of reading Lottery recently. Pat honored me with a manuscript because I have three daughters with autism. Not mental retardation, but similar challenges nonetheless. I was happy to share my opinion and a blurb.
You can learn about Lottery at http://patriciawoodauthor.com/index.htm . Do yourself a favor and pre-order a copy.

My own book, One Kat. Two Lives. is Mom lit with murder, it's very funny and yes it has two kids with autism in the mix (shocking I'd pick that topic, isn't it?) But my book has an overlap with Lottery in that Pat and I have both chosen to portray our characters with dignitiy, humanity, humor (mine a bit more graphic than hers) and capabilities - despite what the world chooses to feel about Perry L. Crandall (her guy) and Sophie and Dom Perroli (my two young characters with autism.) Oh, and her book is coming out in August and mine is not quite at that point in the publishing process. Rather a large distinction!

Coffee with the agent formerly known as "Super Agent X", now known as Eric Myers was divine. I am comfortable with him. I respect him. I like him. He is a delight. It's a great feeling to know my book is in such capable hands.

File that under "H" for happy.

12 comments:

Mindy Tarquini said...

Got the scoop from Miss Pat via cell phone. She says you're divine. I agree.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

I felt like a small comet circling the sun! Warm! Pat is just so full of joy about Lottery and that's contagious.

Stacy said...

You can brag; you've earned it. Be as pretentious as you want!

Maddy said...

The page turns green as I read. Lucky you, or rather well done, I'm glad that all your hard work is finally paying off. Keep us posted as to your publication date.
Best wishes

Drama Mama said...

Mazel Tov, Darling! That is fantastic news - revel in it, roll in it, plaster it across your chest, dammit. You've earned it.

Now, what I really want to know is...what did you think of The Sopranos last night? Watching A.J. and his issues, I was just thinking how great it would be to have a character with autism on the show. A totally empowered mobster with autism.

Think about it. There's your next novel.

Again, congrats on this auspicious day.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Drama? MOBTISM? That is a howl! Thinking, thinking, thinking! THE STAGLIANOS. Look out, those kids'll KILL you for a piece of dark chocolate. Except my girls don't have a mean bone in their bodies and they have never ever lied. Rather important criteria for a mobster!

ORION said...

Hey!
I heard you guys talking about me!
I had a wonderful breakfast with you too Kim.
Thanks for the company.
much aloha!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

PSSSST = Pat's in the house! Good luck today!

Anonymous said...

pancakes for 17$???? steak and eggs for 29??? is that standard NYC fare? YIKES!!!

Michelle O'Neil said...

You are the coolest!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Hey, Kim. It's Carolyn from Backspace. I want to hang out here more often. I just subscribed to your feed; I'm hungry.

Jenny said...

That is an awesome sentence - congrats!

P.S. I love that post on the writer's digets mag too. My goodness.