Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Crease Attack

OK. Two news bits have caught my eye. The three young men caught in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal have had their charges dropped. Case closed. I assume that they'll be able to get their lives back on track in some fashion. Not sure about the accuser. I hope she can too. It will be interesting to see if they bring charges against their accuser or the former prosecutor.

That case attracted my attention because I have a soft spot in my heart for lacrosse players. Decent ones, mind you. Not ones who would treat women like dirt. I suppose someone will write a book about it. Please, don't query my agent, OK?

The lacrosse players I knew where good guys. Protective guys. I dated an All American midfielder from Baltimore, prime lacrosse breeding ground, for many years. He was recruited to an Ivy League school. A broken ankle waylaid him though. Insert crude joke here. Mr. Midi is still a good friend many years later. I love that.

My cousin's son starts for Yale lacrosse and his younger brother will be playing for Yale next year as a freshman. Her sister's son plays for Colorado. These kids are real live people - not just "rich white boys." Just as the women who entertained the Duke boys were real live people - not just "entertainment." It's a tragic, sordid story all around. No winners. No winner.

And now I read that MSNBC has dropped Don Imus' program. Imus said an incredibly stupid, hurtful thing about young women who should have been able to concentrate on their success, not their hair or skin color. I guess he's been watching MTV and BET and listening to the radio and picked up some foul language.

But Don Imus has also been a true supporter of the autism community. I do wonder if he's been shit canned for a reason somewhat unrelated to his verbal gaffe. I do indeed. You'd be surprised at what goes on in our little world. Gotta dodge, gotta roll, gotta win.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, that it was a very stupid, hurtful statement made by him.
However, if Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Snoop Dog, P.D. Diddy, Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson made a comment about any black African Americans........Nothing would be said.

What about all the rapper songs? They are disgusting and demeaning to all colors of women, and nothing is said about them. Howard Stern!! He can say and do anything he wants to and get away with it.

Yes, it was very hurtful and stupid. He has apologized over and over. Now, it is time to move on.

Judy

LadyBronco said...

anonymous Judy;
The ends never, ever justify the means - regardless of who else says, or doesn't say, the very same thing.
No more excuses for this man's hateful and racist words. It is over, he has been fired from MSNBS, and let's all learn from this incident, shall we?

The Wandering Author said...

I'm not about to make any excuses for what he said. It was wrong, and I can't stand bigotry. And any time anyone gets in trouble for it, the world is a better place. But, the world would be even better than that if everyone were held to that standard.

I don't think that's making excuses for anyone; I'd just like to see all bigotry, whatever the source, met with cries of outrage. But I won't hold my breath, because too much of our society is still willing to tolerate bigotry, unless they want an excuse to 'make an example' of someone.

And, yes, Kim, anyone who stands up for any community that is 'different' is likely to find themselves a target. Some of the things that go on quietly would make any decent person sick.

Anonymous said...

Imus took on the pharmaceutical industry and Bob Wright, former head of NBC and founder of Autism Speaks. Imus is now off MSNBC. Nuff said.

Michelle O'Neil said...

I agree. His remarks were stupid and offensive and Imus should be called on them.
I also think these young women are being used as pawns in a much bigger power play.
Stewart Scott of Sports Center was on Mike & Mike this morning, saying that "Ho" can actually be used as a term of endearment in the African American Community.
WTF?
I've never listened to Imus and know nothing of him other than his bravery in speaking about mercury and autism.
This whole situation sucks. Everything about it.
Period.

Laura said...

Yeah, I was disappointed in what Imus said, knowing it would lead nowhere good, and especially because he's been such a help to the Autism community. Really, really stupid to insult a team of women who worked their asses off to get where they did. That's the worst part for me. It's one thing to insult criminals, drug dealers and pimps, or the Bush administration for that matter (sorry! couldn't resist!), but it's still never OK to use racist comments on the air. Isn't that the first thing you learn as a radio host? If not it should be!

Anonymous said...

Imus took on the pharmaceutical industry and Bob Wright, former head of NBC and founder of Autism Speaks. Imus is now off MSNBC. Nuff said.

Interestingly Imus supports autism and has spoken out against mercury. Bob Wright supports autism through Autismspeaks and his daughter, Katie, has started to speak up regarding mercury.

Both have been ousted from NBC. Lesson to be learned - be careful who you speak out against.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Anon, you may be "wright." Not sure we'll ever know.