Monday, July 28, 2008


Harold Pollack on HuffPo:

"Two MS patients, one English, one American: Which One was Driven to Cut up his Pills, Lost his Home, and Went Bankrupt?"

Please click HERE to read a HuffPo post by Harold Pollack on the state of healthcare in America versus the civilized world...

Most of us are one catastrophic diagnosis away from ruin. Autism has already taken the Staglianos out - our financial goose is cooked. You want to join us? I hope you never do.


I'm working on a post myself, about a dear family friend who has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gerhig's disease) and is watching his world spiral away from him. I can't think straight when I sit down to write it yet. I want to cry. And scream. Another close friend's wife has breast cancer. Hundreds out of pocket a month for the meds. And come January? The deductibles kick in again.

Harold (with whom I have disagreed on autism topics, by the way) wrote a great piece. Read it, forward it, comment on it.

KIM

Americans deserve BETTER.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Speaking as I do from the MS capital of the world, God Bless the National Health Service and all who sail in her! Here I sit with news stories covering "Post code Lotteries" saying it depends where you live as to the treatment you get as different health authorities have different priorities. It's not that you won't get help or treatment, it just may take a little longer or be a different drug. It seems a bit churlish to be worrying about standard of care when Americans are wondering if they can get any in the first place.

Going back to the MS thing, there was a very interesting news programme about it on BBC Scotland the other night and it seems Canada is leading the way in research, Orkney has the Highest incidence - 1 in 10 - and it may be something to do with either vitamin D during pregnancy or genetics or both. You might catch the program on BBC iplayer

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I am sorry for what you are going through. My sister-in-law is battling leukemia and all we can think of right now is that she gets better. But the crippling debt that is beginning to pile up is something that none of us can forget. She is fortunate to have family willing to chip in and help her, but it isn't easy. And I can't imagine how hard it is for so many others out there.

Tyhitia Green said...

The richest country in the world, people. It's a crying shame. I wish you and yours the best, Kim. I pray for everyone who doesn't have access to healthcare and those who cannot afford it. :-/

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Demon, it's gotten so bad now that even people with healthcare get wiped out as dedictibles and co-pays and drug costs spiral out of control. When my husband was with the putz's who let him go (oops, did I say that?) our deductible went from $900 for the family to $6000 in one year. $12000 out of network. Who the hell could spend $6000 OOP? It's heartbreaking.

Lynn Cahoon said...

I hear you! Just when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel from last years breast cancer fight (two more payments...), my arm swells up and therapy here I come. At $50 a pop, with good insurance. They want me to come twice a week for 2-3 weeks. And then we will look at it. Sigh. All I see is $ signs.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Lynn - (Lynn S??) You're right. I'm so sorry you have to go through more. And to have the financial burden on top of the stress of your health is just wrong. Meanwhile, Ted Kennedy had inoperable brain cancer at age 75 but was able to get the operation in a matter of days, and I'll guess it won't cost him $50 total. Senators aren't subject to the same insurance as the little people.