Tuesday, October 24, 2006

CLA$$ TRIP$

My kids are in Kindergarten, grade 4 and grade 6. Their Fall field trips have totalled $70. $12 x 2 to go to a local pumpkin farm and McDonalds (where they can't eat), $16 to go to Hartford, $10 for an IMAX movie and $20 payable now to see A Christmas Carol at the famous Westport playhouse. I think these are fantastic trips. I'd spend $100 for a field trip to Radio City Music Hall. But what about the families who can't afford the extra $70 in a week's time? Maybe a list of the out of pocket expenses that occur through the year could go home in September so parents can prepare? $70 might be a week's groceries or the gas bill. Kind of bothered me.

KS

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Expenses like these are why I stopped having sex.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

I thought it was that freak "accident" with the FloBee? In your defense, Harv, it did say "insert attachment here for suction." Ever get your settlement?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're able to joke about this, Kim. I know I can't. It took over EIGHT MONTHS for the area used on the back of my thigh for the skin graft to heal. That's how substantial (and lengthy) the damage was from the damned vacuum cleaner. For EIGHT MONTHS I couldn't sit on one of those slotted park benches. I'm glad you find this funny.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

You're right, Harvey. I was harsh. You can relax, Mrs. Moskowitz tells me everything is A-OK, "down there". And she's always smiling when I see her at the Big Lots. No worries.

Trish Ryan said...

And to think I was going to make a comment on the high cost of public education...

:)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I'm tagging you...

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not so sympathetic about this. By the time children start attending school, parents should be saving a little extra for the added expenses. I guess knowing some time in advance would be fair play.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Jr. and I thought we might hold hands one day and sing Kumbaya. Shame. Advance notice is really what I was getting at -- the trips are great fun. You'll like this - in 8th grade our field trip was to Walpole State Prison (now euphemistically called Cedar Junction) with our teacher named MISS FREE. Even in 8th grade we caught that irony!

Happy huntin'

KS

xxxx said...

That's a lot of field trips! We got like one or two a year.