Tuesday, July 31, 2007



Posting that photo of Clooney below jogged my memory of another guy in a similar pose.

I grabbed my wedding album. Close, yes? And now Mark has that touch of gray at the temples. Well, more of a clobber of gray given that he's been married to ME for 15+ years. How about that giant tulle bird on my head? Or is it a hot air balloon that made a bad landing?


It takes a hell of a man to be an autism Dad. The ones I know are strong, capable and positive thinkers. We all talk about the resiliancy of the Autism Mom. The two smiling people in that photo had not an inkling of the storm that was approaching them in the form of three children with autism. Just as well, I suppose. I couldn't have survived without Mark to ease my pain and my burden. And share the joys too.


Today I'm taking my hat off to the men. Starting with my own guy. I think the Dads have unique stresses - especially the financial ones. Many of us autism Moms have to quit our jobs to handle the children. And autism is sickeningly expensive, and rarely covered by insurance except as "out of network."


To the Autism Dads of the world. THANK YOU.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the Dads!! My hubby, who's the stay at home parent, is driving my two boys south from MA to LA!! He arrives tired but triumphant from these trips, and the boys always enjoy the adventure!

Yea Dads!!!!

Steve said...

awww, shucks... :">

Anonymous said...

The cost of autistic kids is the amount of time the dad has to spend fixing everything - tally so far for this holiday - 2 curtain poles, the entire shelving of the linen cupboard, playdough through the house, flooded bathroom and bedroom x 5, soaked sofa x 3 sevearl toys, one bed and the lawn. All down to daughter number 2 and there's two weeks to go! I guess that's the trouble with having such a fab school, it's alot to live up to for 6 weeks...

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Steve, for YOU, my HAT. For Mark? Hubba hubba! You guys get short shrift. And Lisa, I know many stay at home autism Dads who rock. Amanda, you need a Home Depot! (huge American DIY store.)

Cheers for the Dads!

Anonymous said...

Kim:

I feel the same about my husband, another autism dad of 3. However, when I showed him your blog to be encouraged, all he said was, "Tell your friend way too much text and not enough lingerie shots." And there you have it.

Alison

schaferatsprynet said...

Great acknowledging stressed dads, which can sometimes cause confusion.
And you don't look anything like George Clooney.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle O'Neil said...

What a beautiful photo Kim. Your man looks like Alec Baldwin, minus the abusive evil twist.

Yes...the Dads.

((sigh))

Niksmom said...

I know I couldn't handle being Niksmom **without** Niksdad!

Anonymous said...

Here Here Niksmom! Behind every great autism mum, there's a dad.

Anonymous said...

Still laughing over that "abusive evil twist". hahaha Too many Lenox memories...

Y'all are adorable. So sweet - thanks for sharing! And you are right...Stalingo is a remarkable person. You both are amazing!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

What a gorgeous photo, minus the white parrot on your head! LOL!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Geez, Manic, you could at least call it a DOVE! LOL!!!