Sunday, January 14, 2007

Soy sorry!

I blew it. And poor Miss Peanut is paying the price.

I fed my kids a yummy meal that I made in the crockpot. I used an organic cream of mushroom soup - dairy free. My kids are on the gluten free, casein free diet. No wheat, oats, rye or dairy of any sort. The soup was soy based - soy KILLS Miss Peanut. And I didn't read the label carefully enough.

She woke up screaming, with an obvious stomach ache (although she can not tell me so with words.) We came downstairs and I gave her activated charcoal. You can buy it at any natural foods store. The charcoal absorbs the yuck in her tummy. Just break open the capsule into a bowl, mix it with either applesauce or a bit of chocolate syrup and pop it into the child's mouth. In minutes, she felt better and is now comfortable.

Hey, Manic Mom? It works for hangover stomach aches too!

Oh, Peanut, miso sorry....

8 comments:

Maddy said...

Glad I'm not the only one who is traveling to fast to stop and read the labels. Cheers

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Yeah and the poor child really suffered. Tonight I bought the same brand "Imagine Organic" but potato leek - no soy. The "Cream of mushroom" was soy based.

The Potato leek makes a nice gravy for beef stew with some tomato paste added into it for flavor and as a nod to my heritage. Easy one pot meal for a couple of nights.

GO PATRIOTS!

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi kim - I wasn't sure if you would repay a visit to Kristin Nelson's post on Thursday, so I wanted to let you know I replied there to your post. I literally laughed until I cried. I'm not planning on actually taking the action you suggested, but the very thought in the midst of all the high-brow arguing had me crying.

If your writing is as funny as you are, I'd say you've got a great career ahead. :)

LadyBronco said...

Kim;
I hope you do not beat yourself up too much over the soup. While I cannot relate to my kids having any sort of allergies realted to foods, I can relate to the feelings of being a horrible mommy at times.

It happens.

I am so sorry Miss Peanut was miserable, but you being human will not change, nor will human beings ever be perfect.
Therefore, we mommies will never be perfect.
And if I am misreading the tone of your post, well feel free to give me a virtual kick. :0)

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

No, no - I was bummed that my stupidity made her wake up with a belly ache - I need all the beauty sleep I can get! Mark has been traveling since last Tuesday and we've had a long, rainy, boring weekend together, the girls and I! It's not like I gave a peanut allergic child a PB&J - but it did bother me. The activated charcoal works in minutes though - handy to have in ANY household.

No cyber kicks tonight! :)

word ver:GANBOXXD "Have you ever been ganboxxd?" None of your business....

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

What are you tryin' to say?

Hmmm? Anyway, I'm on a diet. so no drinking until Cabo Wabo baby!

Trish Ryan said...

So good to know - I've been taken out by soy before and it's no fun.

And yes, GO PATRIOTS!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, I read your blog though have never commented. Anyway, I saw this and thought of you. A number of stars were wearing puzzle-piece pins at the Golden Globes. They are in support of autism awareness.

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/globes2007/winnersgallery/?photoidx=17

It's people like you that are getting the word out. Great job. And I can't wait to read the book. Found you through the Chick-Lit loop.
A.