Thursday, January 18, 2007

No longer screwed!

I just replaced the batteries on a new V-Tech toy and didn't need to use a screwdriver to get into the battery chamber. Honest to God! Like an old fashioned toy (circa 1985) I just popped open the little door to get to the batteries.

If you don't have kids, you might have missed the level four-terror alert-code red-sealed up tighter than an Opus Dei's private parts wave of toy packaging and production. You need tools to take a toy out of its package today. More tools to open the battery chamber.

Tickle Me Elmo Extreme arrived in his box tied down like Gulliver by the Lilliputians. The poor furry monster had at least 18 heavy wire twisty ties on his arms, legs and torso. I thought I had purchased the S&M version of Elmo by accident.

This V-Tech cursive writing board did require a screwdriver to unscrew it from its cardboard box, if I recall the litany of swears on Christmas morning at my folks house. But once free? That board needs NOTHING! Not even a penny, which was the required tool for the V-Tech Smile video games we bought.

I wonder if anyone at V-Tech has been fired for leaving the battery door open?

2 comments:

Anissa said...

I hear you. Next Christmas I'm opening all the presents before hand so when the kiddos open them they can just pull toys out of the boxes. I can't tell you how much frustration this has caused in my household. I've taken to shopping the kids consignment store in the area. Yeah I have to disinfect the toys, but at least I don't have to bust out the hammer and chisel to get them out of the box. Looks like time to check out V-tech. That's a selling point on its own.

Laura said...

I need to check out the Vtech stuff! I am lazy and try to hide the toys with dead batteries rather than taking them downstairs to get the screwdriver out, change the batteries, hope the rechargeable batteries I put in are actually charged, etc. LOL about Gulliver/S&M Elmo! I hate the twist ties, but zip ties are even worse. The fact that you need a tool box to get a toy from the box is ridiculous!