Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A Glimpse of my Girl

Last night, Mark and I got one of those snapshots of the smart, engaged child that is our Miss G. Mark put Peanut's blankie over his shoulders and said "It's super Dad!" Miss G laughed riotously and hollered out without any processing time: "Dad is my hero!" Mark and I jumped up and down with glee. Miss G's speech has come so far from the non verbal three year she was. She is just the best little kid ever. All my girls are awesome (of course!) Those "typical" moments make our hard work seem like a cake walk. Worth every penny as Miss G. sails along toward an independent life. I'm so proud of her!

Here's one of the ironies of autism. As tough as it is to watch your child struggle with every day accomplisments that come naturally to other kids, it's a a gift to be able to celebrate even the smallest of achievements. Other parents take for granted the first words, the first day of school, the first sleepover. Mark and I celebrate every milestone, no matter how small. Miss M greets us with a loud "Hi Mom! Hi Dad!" and we're over the moon. Miss G calls Dad a hero and I cry tears of joy. Peanut uses sign language to tell us she wants something or points to her PECS picture and we cheer as if she has recited the Iliad by heart.

It's a wild ride, this autism.

Mom

11 comments:

Stacy said...

Yay for Miss G! She sounds like such a cutie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I got goosebumps when I read this. Isn't it amazing how something so small to most, can be so powerful to others? It's moments like this that keep us going! Whoo-hoo!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

You know it, Julie! Love to the boys! Kim

ORION said...

I just love your blog.
I hope my stories make others truly think about all the cognitive challenges that children face.

(my deal is posted on publishers weekly now!)
Ya hoo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I am also a fan of Miss Snark and have been following the Crapometer. Alas, my hook wasn't chosen. But thanks to her, I've rewritten it and now I have a shiny new weapon :-)

I am very interesting in hearing your stories about your autistic kids. One of my German shepherds is a therapy dog. We make regular visits to a school for autistic children ages 3-6. I've been priviliged to witness many small miracles, such as a little girl stringing two words together for the first time. When I told her mom what she'd said, I thought the mom was going to cry. I realize how little it takes to make the day of a parent whose child is autistic. Makes mine, too.

Best to you and your girls.
Tena

Alyssa Goodnight said...

How great for your girls that they have such proud parents.

Congrats to all of you!

Trish Ryan said...

That's awesome!!! It's so cool that you celebrate these milestones - thanks for letting us join in the party :)

LadyBronco said...

Kim, I sit in awe every time I read your blog.

If only every mom of every child could feel and react with half of the love and grace you show to your children and to the world, what a wonderful place the world would be!

My hat's off to you, ma'am.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Congratulations! We too celebrate the little victories at our house. These little kiddos are so amazing.


You go mama! (and super dad).

Word Doctor said...

Kim,
Congrats on the new milestone. Some dear friends of mine have a child in similar circumstances. Honestly, he is my first experience with autism. I will say this though: He blows my mind everytime I see him.

Last time I saw him, I took him for ice cream--just the two of us. While we were eating, a group of kids started staring and then making comments about him. Let me tell you, I wanted to punch their parents right in the face (sorry...emotions)for letting them act like that. But ya know what? Once I got past my insecurity, I realized that Conor (my bud)was having a great time with me, and I said, "screw it"!

I hope I will never allow others to dictate my state of mind again.

All the best to you, and thanks for visitng my blog. Blessings.

Maddy said...

It appears that we use the same unit of measurement, namely the millimetre, which of course translates into light years.
BEst wishes to you and yours.
Cheers