Friday, June 20, 2008


A New Spin on "WTF????"


GLOUCESTER, Mass. - A pact made by a group of teens to get pregnant and raise their babies together is at least partly behind a sudden spike in pregnancies at Gloucester High School, school officials said.
Read the rest of this sad story
HERE
.


When I was a "youngster," the goal was NOT to get preggers. You know, first comes love, then comes marriage and all that old fashioned stuff? I blame the hot new maternity clothes. Yup. When I was pregnant, clothes were starting to look a lot better than the tents my Mom wore. But now? Gals slap on a t-shirt that looks like a sausage casing so we can all see their belly buttons and a pair of low rise jeans. Yeah, we KNOW you're pregnant, you really don't need to wear a belly shirt. We don't need the fashion equivalent of an ultrasound every time we see you in Target.... WE GET IT.

You?

7 comments:

Niksmom said...

ICK.

FWIW, my word verification is "sqmesii" which is awfully close to squeamish...how that story made me feel!

Anonymous said...

Sickening. And guess who will have to pay for all of these kids. All of us...the tax payers.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hmm, I was thinking of it more from what it would do to their young lives than my pocketbook. I suppose they might end up needing financial assistance though. Maybe we could take a few bucks from Exxon's windfall profits to lower all our tax rates? ;)

Mom26children said...

OMG,
When I was pregnant with Caitlin, 18 years ago (I am going to hyperventilate on that one), I had to get my work clothes at Macy's in NYC.
Not much choice of clothing then.
Now that I am way past being pregnant...the clothes are stunning..even at Target.
I hope you and your amazing family are doing well.
Jeanette

Amy said...

I blame Juno. Pregnancy is cool. Just ask my stretch marks.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hi,J - Mia is almost 14! SCARY indeed. My preggo clothes were lovely, I couldn't quite swing Pea in the Pod, but I shopped Mimi mostly. Ah, pre=autism, when my pockets were full of gold! For Bella? I had lots of leftovers and borrowed. Today I could wear my size Small T's and low cut levis and fit (bulge?) right in! LOL! Stay cool down there in Texas, J.

Amy, that's funny - IT's getting worse. HuffPo reports one got pregnant by a homeless man. I mean, even the ugly girls can find some boy to knock them up, can't they?

And Juno had a nice story to it - with the adoption. My dear friend adopted brothers from the same young couple and I've never gotten such a frisson of happiness for any friend who had a baby. But I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Amy said...

Ok I agree Juno had a great story. I have several friends who adopted. One even worked 2 jobs and put themselves into crazy debt to do so. Hell I even have gay friends who adopted from a teenage girl. Didn't know I was that progressive, didja? But look at Juno through the eyes of the 16 year old. Here's this awesomely funny girl who gets pregnant and gives her baby to Jennifer Garner. By the end of the movie even *I* wanted to be Juno and I'm 34!

Maybe I was being too kind by blaming Hollywood. I actually blame the parents. I would normally not blame parents for this action, but when asked why the girls did it, the statement was "well, when you have a baby, you have someone who will love you unconditionally". Um, hello? Isn't that the parent's job? To love the CHILD unconditionally?

It's really just a sad story. These girls are in for a rude awakening.