Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chinese Catastrophe



Dear God in the morning. I was standing at the end of the driveway with Miss Mia waiting for her school bus. I picked up the New York Times. The cover photo nearly knocked me over. Mother and Dad tending to the body of their 8 year old daughter, who was killed in the earthquake. They married late. They have one child, as is required in China. A daughter. They kept her. And now they've lost her. Imagine how many families are grieving the loss of their one precious child.


Click HERE to see a powerful slideshow of the devastation and true human tragedy in China.


Why does this tragedy seem to affect me more than others? Maybe because of the children? I don't know. Yesterday I was very down in the dumps. Today I'm the luckiest woman on earth with three kids who will toddle off the school bus later today and whether they can say hello, can't say hello doesn't really matter.

1 comment:

Michelle O'Neil said...

I can only hope that one day we'll understand the big picture. On this and so many other things.