Saturday, May 05, 2007

Kim 2.0? I BEG YOUR PARDON?????

OK, without getting into too much detail here (my Mom visits my blog you know) I had an interesting Friday night. (Hi, Mom!) Last night my husband Mark got home from a week-long business trip. Kids went to bed by 8:15 pm. ALL THREE! You following me?

Husband pays me a lovely, lovely compliment. "Kim, you look beautiful. Really. Just beautiful." Appropriate talk between married adults, yes? I am pleased. Then he adds, "You've really upgraded yourself." Can you hear the marital bed train wheels screeeeeeching to a halt?

Now I realize he in no way meant to imply that I was skankasaurus rex in the past. He has always found me attractive. He married me for God's sake!

And if I really think about his comment, he's right! Don't sic the feminists on me!


For many years in my 30's I was having babies, learning that my babies had autism, fighting tooth and nail to figure out how to help them, living far, far from family and friends (I realize now that I am back in New England how much that really affected me) dealing with four long years of a seizure disorder in one of kids, had a husband for thought that golf was the most important thing in the world (he has since come around on that one) had the same husband who was out of work for many long months (bye bye golf), had to sell a beautiful house and most of our belongings to stay afloat, moved in with my parents like an unreal reality show, enrolled the kids in two new school districts, managing 1,2, 3 IEPS, wrote a novel, launched a private Yahoo group for parents of kids with autism, tried to earn a few bucks as a marketing consultant and managed to NOT go insane.


Did I look my prettiest during these times? Perhaps not. Did I gain 13 pounds? Yes. I ballooned up to 132 pounds - a number I hadn't seen since 4 months pregnant with any of my girls. I was a bit tired and didn't have a lot of money for personal care extravagances. And my head just didn't give a shit. I was in survival mode. And we survived!!!

Now that we are settled into our little house, the kids are in good schools, my career is moving along, I'm more involved with helping people with kids with autism and my baby making days are fini - I feel more at ease. Oh, I've lots to do still. Plenty. But he has point. I do look better because I am HAPPIER. And that Mark and I have survived and still want to talk across the pillow is nothing short of a miracle. But miracles take a lot of work. They don't just happen. Not to me, anyway.

Signed, Kim "2.0"

16 comments:

ORION said...

Could it be also that you removed those pink things from your eyes?

Another Autism Mom said...

Balooned to 132??? Unless you're like, 4 feet tall, you can't be fat at 132 lb.

That said, I also hope to upgrade myself in the next couple of years. I had lost so much weight breastfeeding, but as soon as I stopped, I gained 10 pounds again. Not having time or energy to go to the gym doesn't help either.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't fat - but for ME, I did balloon. A small balloon, yes, but a balloon! 5'5" tall on my tip toes (reaching for a TastyKake, no doubt...) :)

Schmoop said...

I loaded your upgrades as they popped on my screen. Thanks!!

Susan Senator said...

Rock on, Baby!
What's that about a private yahoo group for autism moms that I was not invited to join??!! :) Why? Is it totally to rag on the Neurodiverse, or what?!

Anonymous said...

Noooo, Ms. Senator. It's for autism moms who can't belly dance worth a fig -- ;) I call it "autismmomswhocantbellydanceworthafig@yahoogroups.com. LOL! And me rag on ANYTHING? I'm shocked you'd even suggest it. I do like a good fight every so often, I admit it. A tousle here, a scrum there, good for the soul.

Maddy said...

I thought he was referring to your blog! Men!
I'm limiting my 'upgrading' to the dental department, more than enough for me to cope with [but your photo on HP looks great]
Cheers

Anonymous said...

McEwen that's so funny! My "blog." There's a new name eh? "Honey, would you care to leave a comment?" LOL! I got bogged down in your new linky things - too much for my eyes to absorb. We also had a park "episode" today. Sigh....

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow. Pat yourself on the back for getting through Kim.

You are awesome!

John Robison said...

I don't know if I should say it sounds good, or that's too bad. Sort of a mixed bag of things.

Ahvarahn said...

great. sounds like there are no serious compatibility issues with both operating systems.

I get the feeling my wife deserves and upgrade of me --too many bugs in this version. However, I have been doing many repairs lately to implement fixes for known issues.

Anonymous said...

My mind works in such a paranoid way, I'd be like, "so you thought I had downgraded myself?" Of course, men being men, that is not at all what he meant, total compliment, at how beautiful you are inside and out. You have been through so much and yet stay positive, productive and a loving, beautiful wife, mother and person. Hope you had an extra special night alone together and all 3 girls slept through the night.

Anonymous said...

Ahvarahn, as long as you don't come home with any viruses you're probably OK.

John, a mixed bag indeed. That's life, yes?

Michelle, we've weathered some doosies Mark and I have. Lots of fodder for a non-fic.

Eileen, of course that was my first thought to - female thinking. WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Holly Kennedy said...

Kim, I loved your post.
My husband often says "the wrong thing" while full of good intentions. Such is the language between men and women, huh?

And, yes, that you both survived everything life has thrown at you and managed to stay intact as a family is THE most important part.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Ah, I love this post. But laughing at the first two comments here, Orion's with the pink eye thingamagigs, and then Another Autism Mom and the "Ballooning to 132." I haven't seen 132 since I was like 12. But I'm 5'9" so does that count for something?

You go girl! Rock Mark's world (as if you haven't already!)

Therese said...

Kim, you are one impressive woman!

Version 1.0 might not have looked as perky for a while, but she's the one that got you through!