Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Botox* benefit to raise money for autism research .

How's this for a fundraiser premise? "Let's inject a known poison into our faces so we look 37 instead of 42 (yeah, cuz that'll atttract that hottie mechanic at the Hummer dealership where you get "Big Hummin' Hank" serviced.) under the guise of raising money for a national epidemic that may be caused by injecting a known poison into babies."

Someone hold me up under my arms! I am falling down laughing! Put on your best Manolos! Grab your favorite Lily dress! "Why, yes! I am a philanthropist! I am raising money for autism! Look, my forehead is SO smooth you can know longer see the terror, worry and concern I feel every day for my girls! Success!"

Gosh, maybe next month I can get breast implants to raise money for breast cancer! Or a tummy tuck for colon cancer! Sweet Jesus, I'm going to look great and sleep well at night too knowing I've done my part for society. Assuming the doc can write me a scrip for Ambien..... Wait! Ambien? Lunesta! We can raise money for narcolepsy too! Oh, the possibilities! There's just one wrinkle......

Here's the article from Flint Michigan. Don't they have car companies to save out there in the Motor City???

GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIP
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONMonday, May 14, 2007


By Shantell M. Kirkendollskirkendoll@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6366
QUICK TAKE

Smooth for summer


An annual Botox Benefit begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at Silverton Skin Institute, 8245 N. Holly Road, Grand Blanc Township. The cost for the injected wrinkle smoother is $275, about a 40 percent discount. Appointments: (810) 606-7500.


GRAND BLANC TWP. - It's been five years, $60,000 and some progress since Dr. Kimball Silverton and his wife, Jennifer, began an unusual benefit to help autistic children like their son, Aidan, 9.


Silverton's annual Botox Benefit is Saturday, and using the popular wrinkle eraser donated by Allergan, manufacturers of Botox, he's helping smooth the way for research and a cure for a little-known genetic disorder.


"Beauty does not have to be selfish," Silverton said of the benefit.


Proceeds go to three organizations helping families and researching Fragile X Syndrome, which son Aidan was diagnosed with at age 2 1/2.


Aidan's diagnosis led the Silvertons to become advocates for research of Fragile X, a genetic disorder that's the only known cause of autism.


Interest in autism - how to recognize it early and what treatments are available - has skyrocketed, as have numbers of children diagnosed with it.


New federal studies show one in 150 children is autistic. But Aidan, a second-grader, is among those for whom doctors can at least pinpoint a reason it developed, even if there's no cure.
"Knowing the cause of his autism puts us in the direction of diagnosis and a cure," said Jennifer Levine Silverton.


Researchers funded by one of the organizations the Silvertons support - Fragile X Research Foundation, or FRAXA - have gained federal approval to accelerate testing of drug that can reverse the impaired cognition, anxiety and autistic behaviors of those with Fragile X.


"Although it's not a cure, it is a treatment for the cognitive impairment and may help children learn in more normal ways," said Kimball Silverton, a board-certified dermatologist.
Fragile X results from lack of a protein, and as a result of the deficiency brain cells don't communicate properly.


FRAXA has put its hope in a drug called Fenobam to block the signaling errors in Fragile X brains, a mechanism underlying other autistic disorders.


"We are very hopeful that this drug could get normal brain development back on track in people with Fragile X - and possibly autism as well," Dr. Michael Tranfaglia, co-founder of FRAXA, said when testing was approved in February.


Jennifer Silverton advocates newborn screening and more awareness among women to determine if they carry the Fragile X gene. The gene can be passed to their children, usually boys.


The Silvertons' daughter, Camryn, 7, does not have Fragile X.


Researchers are making progress, and so is Aidan.

* By the way, I understand that Botox may show promise as a treatment for certain debilitating diseases. I have no problem with the use of Botox. I just get a real guffaw out of the whole "If I look 5 years younger I will be a happier person" drama of cosmetic surgery. It's so shallow compared to the life we autism Moms live. Don't like my opinion? (Shrug.)

26 comments:

Another Autism Mom said...

That's pretty funny indeed. But face it Kim, it's mostly from those Botox-ladden people that major donations come from. As much as one may despise them, they sometimes serve a purpose.

Niksmom said...

OMG! What the F___!?? Why don't they do discount lobotomies (by the manicurist, of course!) while they're at it?

John Robison said...

I agree. It sounds nasty.

I'm glad I'm a guy so I don't need botox, implants, or a face lift. Or even new hair.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Oh my Lord?

I totally thought you were just making this up.

LadyBronco said...

Well, at least all the vain, obnoxious, rich folks are giving their money to a good cause.

*pause*

Okay....I can't stop laughing either!

Trish Ryan said...

Wow - that's unreal. "Beauty doesn't have to be selfish," they assure us. What better way to overcome objections than by offering the "doing it for charity" angle.
Essh.

Anonymous said...

Ordinarily I would not condone taking advantage of vulnerable adults, but in this case, FLEECE THE AIRHEADS FOR ALL THEY'RE WORTH!

Stacy said...

Yes, they do have the auto industry to save in Flint; that's why they're all wrinkly from the stress :)

It's odd certainly but it becomes even more so when you know the Flint/Grand Blanc area. I grew up 45 minutes from there. Genesee County is highly blue collar with a high unemployment rate, and a rather impressive crime rate. Who in Flint/Grand Blanc has money for Botox?

Anonymous said...

This might be unpopular thinking, but maybe this is a couple that are trying to raise awareness and money to help their child the only way they know. I mean, bake sales generally don't raise that kind of money. Having spent some time in Palm Beach (concealing the fact I had no trust fund), I've seen a lot of people who as individuals who didn't rate highly in my book, but these same people raised boatloads of money for the Red Cross and for cancer research. Educating these really smooth-skinned folks (it's not just for women anymore!) could lead to even greater fund raising efforts.

By the way, doesn't smoothing out the skin on your face make the rest of your body look more bedraggled?

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I welcome ALL thinking - and you bring up a good point. I get the NYT every day - I see the beautiful women who attend the charity events. I've heard its the HANDS that give a woman's age away - wrinkly, tiny brown spots. And the elbow and knees. The face can look all smooth and tight (it NEVER looks young in my opinion) but those droopy elbows? A dead giveaway. :)

Come back again!

Ahvarahn said...

.i guess when you think about it there are many good intentions that are irresponsible. this seems to be latching on to the “botox party” craze which is still popular (what happened tupperware?) and attracts the revelers as much as a good ole murder mystery night; although to equate the two there might actually have to be real attempted murder at the latter.

Matty said...

Hi Kim,

Finally made it out from my own site. (john's not here for lunch so I could read more...at Panera ;) )

I loved the Bo-tox article. I do agree with one of your readers that any money to a benefit is better then none but it is amazing how our culture has changed, isn't it?

I get hundreds of people through the Dr's office where I work (dealing with obesity) and most if not all have assesed them selves a 5 out of 1-5 scale. 5 being feeling the worst about themselves.

Most conversations start with "Ifonly.." or "I will, XXXX when..."

So many of our culture believe that feeling good comes from something outside of us. No One remembers that Buddha was a pretty portly fellow. Hapiness comes from spirit and emotional self worth. it is only THEN that you can really facilitate change.

That beng said, take the onation money for good caues where ever it comes from..right?

Laura said...

Hey! I want to go! No, really, I'd love to have my face Botoxed. I know, I know, it's a poison, and I already have enough crap in my body, but I really hate those forehead elevens! They make me look so angry all the time! Oh, wait, I am angry all the time. (Well, 50% of the time.) If I had Botox, I could at least look calm and well-rested!

Holly Kennedy said...

See? Fact IS stranger than fiction, Kim. This is just plain pathetic, but sadly these are the folks with the money to donate to causes, aren't they.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's a need to soften the opinion on Botox. When you think about it, fear of imperfection or "allowing imperfection to become your enemy" is a big part of the problem our kids face. I saw we have an "Eat a Ho-Ho for Autism" day and nip this trend right in the buTT.

Anonymous said...

I'm in if we can include Funny Bones as part of the fundraiser, mmmm, Funny Bones......

Anonymous said...

Funny Bones - YEAH! Not many people outside of New England know the Drake's Funny Bones. Chocolate cake, peanut butter filling (like twinkie filling but peanut butter) and chocolate coating. LOVE THEM!

Alijah Fitt said...

Wow, this is beyond ironic and moronic. This be the most Mor-ironic thing I have ever heard in the name of fund raising.

Anonymous said...

Never been here before and only read one post. Probably won’t read anymore. I can’t believe you are knocking someone who wants to raise money for a charity you support. This guy is raising money using probably his only talent. At least he is using what he knows to help these kids. Would you rather he spend that money on a big vacation instead or a boat? I think not. Unless you can come up with the same amount of money he donate, then I wouldn’t knock him for doing good. Your attitude stinks!

Anonymous said...

If you want to talk about pathetic, look in the mirror. You are ridiculing someone who has raised thousands of dollars for research. The Botox was donated and the procedure was given at a rate so not just the "vain, obnoxious rich folks" can help this Dr raise money. (that quote was from ladybronco). Yo go and have your bake sales and see if you even come close to the $60,000 he has raised for YOUR kids. This board certified cosmetic dermatologist is more than qualified to do these procedures-niksmom-he is not a manicurist. Kim, you could have spun this in a positive light, and helped this Dr raise even more money. You should be ashamed of yourself for putting your negative attitude out there for all to read. And, everyone who agreed with her needs to start thinking for themselves and realize that you are just contributing to her negativity. You should be singing his name for all he has done to help you and your families.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Doc or Doc's wife. Feel free to use your name. And when I look in the mirror I see a strong, resiliant, beautiful 43 year old woman who has touched more lives of people in the autism world than than any amount of money can buy.
If your idea was so great, I have hundreds of blog readers - surely more than a few of them would have said "Hey! This is a great idea!" My readers know they can disagree with my by name, anytime. I'm all about conversation.

Which charities I support is unrelated. I don't support every single organization with Autism in their name.

You come live in my world for a week and see if you end up giving a rats ass about the wrinkles on your face after you meet the challenges I deal with day in and day out for my girls.

Now run along and take care of the line of customers standing outside of your shiny glass door to take advantage of that special on laser hair removal! Only $35! WOW! Maybe donate the proceeds to Locks of Love?

Anonymous said...

Looks like you pissed off the doctors wife or nurse or someone in his office. Don't sweat it - doc ain't no Harvard man curing cancer, autism or anything else. Just some dude from a small never heard of it med school in flyover country.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim. You sure can't take criticism. I see your posts on the Chic Lit board and you sound like a snotty *!^$%!!! If your book EVER gets pubbbed, you sure are alienating a lot of people who NOW won't buy it. These people are making valid comments on a blog. If you can't take their comments, then why have a blog in the first place. I liked you when I first started seeing your struggle to get an agent, but now I think nothing of you. Come off your high horse. Other people who write about autism are rude and nast like you. Jeesh! Get over yourself.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous Californian, well that was an early morning blast! My point here is that a Botox fundraiser is ironic - the injection thing. For those outside of the autism world that might not be as clear I had thought. But I have a feeling you are inside the autism world, yes?

I do worry about women's self perception and the never ending quest for "youth." And Botox injections feed into that. I think they are a controversial way to raise money. Ripe for comment.

I take criticism quite well or I'd never have gotten that agent - I learn from it too. As I've learned from this post. I guess I'm supposed to never ruffle any feathers or speak out beyond vanilla topics?

My writing style is not always peaches and cream - I realize. Maybe I read too much Snark. Well, used to, since she's retiring. But there's no need to swear at me, fellow Chicklitter.

As far as "Other people who write about autism are rude and nasty too" comment? That one stumps me completely. If you have a child with autism - I'd drop everything to help you in a New York minute.

And for Anon who berates the doc?? Not allowed. You can't denigrate his qualifications for God's sake. You know him? You've been to him? I lived in "flyover country" for ten years - met a lot of smart folks there too.

Shit, now I'm frowning - got that stupid line between my eyebrows too. Is that even still going on...? ;)

Now let's play nicely.

Laura said...

Yowza! Well, as I said earlier, I am vain, hate my forehead elevens (which I'm sure are there in part because of autism scowling!), and would go to a Botox fundraiser, but you know what? The money around here is already spent on expensive supplements out the wazoo, ABA therapy and other "incidentals" - as in, do I need to spend a lot of money on a tracking bracelet for my runner of a son, or can we work through it without spending money we don't have? (So far so good, though I probably just jinxed myself).

As for this comment: "Other people who write about autism are rude and nast like you." Well! I never! I am not a published writer, but as a blogger, I consider myself a writer, and I love being called "rude and nast". Nast as I wanna be! Anon, are you trying to egg us on so we'll be angrier, get more furrowed brows, and HAVE to have Botox? Damn, stay still, forehead skin! Please, stay still! Serenity now!

Anonymous said...

I'm a writer too and I happen to like rude and nast. (I assume you meant nasty. Maybe that manicure got in the way of your typing?)

I love the other poster's logic -- he used the only way he knew how to raise money. So like, if you're a prostitute and you want to raise money you have an........orgy?

Oh wait, a drug dealer could just have a fundraiser at the local elementary school! WOO HOO!!! All in for some crack?

The vanity sickens me. Why must women hold onto their youth at any cost? Are people that insecure about themselves?? Seriously?? Do you feel that the only thing you have to offer is wrinkle free skin and bleached blonde hair?

Maybe you *should* go inject mercury into your face.

Cindy