Monday, February 19, 2007

Writing Update

I think I can see the summit... Well at least the next peak in the series of mountains you have to climb to become a published author. I've edited my MS (manuscript) with Super Agent X's input. I really liked the result. Then I had the eagle editing eye of author and former Harlequin editor Bev Katz Rosenbaum go through the MS. I hired Bev. I don't know her personally except through a large writer's list I'm on. She is the author two fun YA books called "I Was a Teenage Popsicle" and it's sequel "Beyond Cool." You can see her site (and learn about her professional critique service at www.bevkatzrosenbaum.com.)

I just got Bev's 14 page report today. She and Super Agent X must have been separated at birth. And here's why I'm just starting to allow myself to hope that this book is actually going to hit the shelves. Her edits mirror Super Agent's X's - taking them a step further. Their edits make the MS structurally sound (read sellable to an editor) but don't change my intent for the story, the voice or the characters as the author. That's why I've agreed so readily to the edit advice. Not because I'm a sycophant, but that I can SEE with my two myopic eyes how their comments make the book BETTER.

Now it's winter break here in New England so my girls are home for the week. That means limited editing time. Or unlimited ignoring them. No, no - I won't.

I'll let you know what Super Agent X thinks when I get the MS back to him. I hope we're "go" but I assume nothing. NADA. Bupkus, Zilch..... But maybe...........

17 comments:

Stephen Parrish said...

If he turns you down, give me his address. I know some people . . .

No, no, don't thank me. That's what friends are for.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Stephen you've already been wonderful - not every fish bite the bait though, eh? Hope you're well in Germany.

Laura said...

The agent and editor sound great, Kim! Fingers crossed for the MAYBE. My kids are off this week, too (well, my older son in school is) so I'm trying not to spend too much time on the computer, which usually means they're watching too much TV. (You know, the real cause of Autism.)

Stephen Parrish said...

No, not every fish takes the bait. It's a numbers game. I wouldn't have received 17 offers if I hadn't approached 18 agents.

Seriously, though, you've got the SKILLS, you've got the EXPOSURE, and you've got the LOVE of your blogging buddies. There's only one possible way you can fail: if you quit.

P.S. You're a BABE too, whether or not you like to hear it.

Anonymous said...

She's more than a babe...she's a hot dish served on a warm plate.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Gosh, my first groupie! Thanks Stephen! I'm sure Harvey will have something to ad... :) I ain't quittin'.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

HARVEY YOU CAME!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's what she said...

LadyBronco said...

Cool...

You have a groupie.

I am very happy for you that you are at this stage of your MS. I can't wait to get there myself!

Anissa said...

That's awesome, Kim. You're getting close, I can feel it! Keep chugging along...can't wait to read (and buy) your book.

Anonymous said...

This just in: It looks like Tom Brady is the father of Anna Nicole's baby. Wire reports are saying that Brady may even be the father of countless other babies conceived on the eastern seaboard over the past 36-48 months. Details to follow.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schmoop said...

Good Luck Kim...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle O'Neil said...

Very exciting Kim! Good for you! Can't wait to see your book on the best seller shelf at Barnes & Nobel!

Michelle O'Neil said...

"That's what she said?"

You just don't hear enough of that anymore.

The Wandering Author said...

Good luck when you submit it, and remember, even if the first agent who's working with you turns it down (and the fact they've already spent time working with you argues against that) there are many more agents out there. Don't give up easily!