Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Edits

I'm as busy as a bee editing my MS per the direction of Super Agent X. Still enjoying every minute. I love that his suggestions are like a road map of tricks. Tricks that make my writing better, get rid of some of the pathetic newbie errors that littered the MS. I must be on the right track, but darn if I didn't take WAY too many side trips. Kristin Nelson talked about heading off on tangent in your MS - how loving a clever passage (or chapter...) can get in the way of the story. I get it! I get it! I am woefully red faced over some of my writerly wrongs. I can hear his exasperated sighs in some of his edit comments and I blurt out "I'm sorry! I see your point!" as I hit delete and rework a passage. But I'm a quick study if nothing else. I can make the edits the MS needs. I just needed someone to point the way. I still keep looking up and asking the Good Lord why this agent has scooped me unofficially into his fold.

How much fun is it to watch your work get better? To inch toward that magic sentence from an agent? "I can sell this."

A lot of fun.

7 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Good for you Kim! Typity-type-type!

Can't wait to read it after Agent X "sells it!"

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I love when my manuscript gets shorter. It means I've killed off my little darlings.

Super Agent loves you 'cause you're a great writer and getting greater. Bravo, girl!

The Wandering Author said...

Kim, the only reason an agent is going to offer you that kind of help is the fact that they're pretty sure you can turn your manuscript into something they can sell. And your comments on the process suggest you're on the right track.

Going off on the wrong track isn't anything to be ashamed of; the only difference between new writers and old ones is the fact the new ones don't quite know how to edit themselves first. The old ones go off on all sorts of tracks - they've just learned to catch it and edit it out. And editing yourself is the hardest writing skill to learn, if the most rewarding.

Petra said...

Hey Ms. Kimberly - Obviously I have been a little preoccupied with my own messy life (I think I now have collected enough material to write 25 episodes of "As the World Turns".. LOL), and I only just got back into visiting your blog.

Congrats on being adopted by Agent X!!! I'll be awaiting the 'I've sold my MS' announcement. You think that this will be the year that good stuff starts to happen to people that had an absolutely crappy 2006??? (girl can dream, can't she?)..

Anonymous said...

Hooty hoo - get ready to refer to yourself as "published author" Kim, you deserve it. I know Super Agent X can sell it, because I know I'll buy it! Have a great day!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Lisa, do you have 25,000 friends? :) Thanks. I'm at an impasse right now. Either too much or not enough coffee. It's frustrating. Back I go.

Anissa said...

Hey Kim! Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there. Your blog cracks me up, I can only imagine what your novel will do. :)

I have this quote up on my blog today, but thought I'd post it here for you.

"You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Happy editing!