Thursday, February 01, 2007

This piggy Is NOT in her blanket.

Why am I blogging at 9:45pm when I should be reading my Ray Bradbury book, all snug in my bed, complete with my fantastique Garnet Hill Paris Percale down quilt cover pulled up to my chin? I'll tell you why. Because I am waiting for an emergency batch of gluten free, chemical free, casein free, soy free, dye free, nitrite free PIGS IN A GD BLANKET to bake.

Miss G's communication log today announced "Tomorrow we're having a superbowl party and we're making pigs in a blanket in social skills cooking class! Can G eat them?" NO SHE CAN'T!

I read that at 4:45pm. We had special ed CCD at 6:30pm. Dinner was ready at 5:00pm. So we scarfed down dinner. And then headed to Porricellis where I purchased a bag of Bob's Red Mill "GFCFSF what the hell is actually in the bag for $7.00?" wheat free/gluten free bread mix. And a pack of Applegate Farms natural hot dogs. Then we went to special ed CCD (Catechism for Catholic kids) where seven kids with autism learned about (insert eye roll here) SIN! Yes, that's right. The lovely, sweet woman who teaches the class taught them about sin. And then (insert teeth grinding here) after settling into class, she announced "We're going over to the church to look at the confessionals!" We Moms look at each other aghast. SHIT! We just got the kids settled! OK, coats on! It's not like they just jump into their coats. I got my kids coats on and dragged Peanut down the hall to toward the door as Miss M was clomping her way to the parking lot. STOP! I got her.

We trudged into the dark, scary huge church to look at the darker, scarier, tiny room with the sliding screened/fabric covered window where the priest takes confession. One bright little guy shouts "I'm scared!" Well, sure you are. And you know what little man, this confessional always scared the bejesus out of me too.

You can't just spring things on kids with autism. We parents need to prepare our kids. That might mean talking to them or drawing pictures or using prepared images called PECS in a social story. We survived. Although the Moms surely committed some sin under our breath while standing in the narthex. I think that's a churchy/architecture word. Narthex. Cool.

So we badalabooped BACK into the school to finish class. Sheesh. We got home at 7:40 and I set out a snack and start proofing yeast. Got Miss M showered, G put on her PJ's. Put the bread in the oven. Got Miss Peanut to bed. Fielded a call from a dear, dear friend whose son with autism broke out in hives tonight. Tried to send her a lifeline (have a cocktail) felt crappy that I didn't have much to offer. And here I am.

Oink.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

...seven kids with autism learned about (insert eye roll here) SIN! Yes, that's right. The lovely, sweet woman who teaches the class taught them about sin ...

How misguided is THAT??

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Amen, Tena. Although it's not like she taught them by stripping off her clothes and chugging a bottle of hooch - she really is the nicest person ever to teach the class. We do laugh at the very CONCEPT of our kids sinning, because really, they have such pure hearts. (Unlike Harvey who I am sure will be popping in to respond.) I bristle at the fact that they have to make first confession before First Holy Communion. But thems the rules.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to confess about all the work I've done with unwed mothers during my formative years. It was a rich, rewarding experience and something I'm not likely to forget anytime soon. In fact, I often think of them while showering.

The problem is, of course, that I'll only confess to a catholic priest whose willing to confess his sins to me simultaneously. So, in lieu of that modern miracle taking place, I'm just going to confess here.

Whaddya say, Kim, two Our Fathers?

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

There ain't a Rosary long enough, Harvey.

Anonymous said...

For me or the priest?

ORION said...

Reminds me of my first year teaching when I was supposed to give a short lecture to a class of students with special needs. (Put 'em all together! Yeah right!)
I had music, two videos going at different places in the room AND I was talking.
The experienced teacher rolled her eyes until they practically flew out of her head.
I had kids on the ceiling.
It was not my most stellar moment in teaching.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

But, Orion - this dear woman has been teaching the CCD class for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS! She just hasn't changed the curriculum to reflect that there are 9 kids with autism and zero with any other situation in the room. A boy brought an adaptive device last week and typed "Miss (NAME)thinks we're stupid and don't understand her." to his MOTHER!

ORION said...

Has anyone sat down with this person and given them a crash course in adaptive instruction?
If she cannot see the light it is time to go to "the boss of the church" (contacting God may be aiming a bit too high but one of his underlings may help)
and discuss applicable teaching strategies.
JMHO
Keep in mind I am a heathen and you really should not listen to me other than the fact that I was a teacher!

Laura said...

Gosh, I knew I was forgetting something! I haven't even brought up the idea of sin to Hutton! I better get him on the right(eous) road soon! I grew up in a highly Catholic town (my family were non-practicing Presbyterians) and the kids all referred to CCD as Central City Dump. Har-har! Those Catholic elementary school kids were the funniest!