Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Historic Days

How must it feel to be African American today? Glorious? Miraculous? Do you have to pinch yourself? Are you waiting for someone to pull the rug out from under you? I'm a middle aged white woman and I'm giddy with hope, anticipation, relief and awe that we are going to have Barack Obama as President tomorrow.


I also have great fears. There's a nefarious push against people with autism in the government right now. A loss of research dollars to look under sacred cows for the possible cause of the autism epidemic. My girls are slaves to their autism. Slavery is not over. I'm angry. And I'm not going down without a fight. I'll write more when I can catch my breath - maybe Easter?

2 comments:

RJeff said...

I agree.

Every once in awhile, I stop and think about the enormity of the issue, the fact that 40 years ago African Americans were still struggling for the right to vote. And here we are, 40 years later.

Wow. Just wow.

Anonymous said...

Listening to MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech today rocked me like it never has before. I have always been moved by it, but today it brought me to tears.