Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tuesday: I just learned about the death of a two year old boy who was killed in an horrific car accident while his Dad was driving the car. Dad and a one year old brother survived. This is someone in the publishing industry. Puts life in perspective fast, doesn't it? Say a prayer for a boy named Sam and his family, won't you?

On being a Mom -- extreme style.

All moms piss and moan about how difficult it is to raise kids. And yes, it is work for certain. Even if you have typical kids, there are ups and downs and days you want to run screaming onto the highway (or so I hear from the Moms of typical kids.)

There's a Mom that we see in Church to whom I'd like to tip my hat today. She has an adult son with cerebral palsy. He is in a wheelchair and appears to be completely dependent on her for physical assistance. I saw her getting him out of their custom van today - the sort with the elevator for the wheel chair. It appears to me that he is mentally 100%. He follows the Mass, takes Communion and his eyes take in everything around him. Never assume a disability means "stupid" or "unable to learn."

I kvetch on a regular basis about our trying days in the world of autism. Today, I looked at my three daughters in the pew and thanked God for them. And I said a prayer that the Mom a few pews over finds the strength she needs every day to care for her precious son.

Gifts and blessings come in all shapes and sizes, don't they?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew a girl in high school who gave me a gift once. I've been blessing her ever since.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Valtrex, Harvey. Valtrex. That's the ticket.

LadyBronco said...

Well, Kim...my hat's off to you!
I have a son who, after 3 years, was finally diagnosed with ADHD (tell me something I didn't know).
It was so difficult for my son to concentrate on anything, and the look in his eyes when he would struggle to pay attention and just fail time after time was heartbreaking. My husband and I went the long route, and ruled out everything else that could possibly be affecting him (allergies, medical conditions, psychological problems..you name it) and I could not be happier for him now.
I wish more moms had patience with their children, and treated their children with the respect that the woman at your church did. Brava to her, as well.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Thanks, Lady Bronco! And thanks for the link up.

Ah, go Pats, even though you beat us!! :)

Trish Ryan said...

It's amazing what some people survive each day. I've never known how to think about this, other than the wise words of an otherwise doltish friend, who once said, "I guess you just rise to the occasion."

It's been cool to see how you rise to the occasion in loving your daughters :)

Anonymous said...

Kim -- I'll say it again. You are a brave and remarkable woman.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Anonymous -- again, you're very kind and I disagree with you.

Brave is the friend I had lunch with last week. He and his wife decided to not have their own children, they adopted a 3 year old from a Romanian orphanage. And the child has tremendous issues related to his early years. THAT'S brave and unselfish. Giving birth to children who ultimately have problems and not running away is not brave, its simple motherhood. OK, maybe it's extreme motherhood. But I'm not even one tiny bit brave. In fact, most days, I'm scared shitless. And that's the truth!

Laura said...

Sunday night I watched TLC for two hours -- the first featured a Haitian girl in the process of having a giant tumor removed from her face. The second hour featured primordial dwarves - the smallest humans - and the ordeals they and their families dealt with on a daily basic. Both were so sad, yet uplifting. I really do feel blessed.

And about the car accident - daily occurrences in this world, and we really do have to live each day to the fullest. Now if I can remember that the next time I get in a pissy mood...