Monday, January 14, 2008


I don't often cross post from Age of Autism but this article seemed wide reaching. You wonder why I question every word that comes out of Pharma and most doctors? And why I'd promote drug free treatments for most everything? This is why:


From the New York Times: "A clinical trial of Zetia, a cholesterol-lowering drug prescribed to about 1 million people a week, failed to show that the drug has any medical benefits, Merck and Schering-Plough said on Monday."

You've seen the gorgeous ad campaign for Vytorin, which is Zetia and Zocor together. Heck, I can hear the tooty little song in my head right now, with the people who resemble food.


Read the full article from The Times HERE. You no longer have to pay for The Times online, but you might have to sign up.


How many of you are on this drug? Your parents? Grandparents? A million prescriptions a week and it does nothing? I expect medical doctors across the country to express their outrage at having duped their patients into thinking they were getting medical treatment. Come on, AMA. I'm waiting.

6 comments:

kristen spina said...

Whoa. Makes you think, doesn't it?

The Muse said...

Kim,

Forget Zetia, there are a number of herbal remedies and supplements that can lower your cholesterol without any side affects. I have incredibly low cholesterol with a 1 to 1 ratio of good to bad, HDL to LDL. I've tried this with some family members and it has lowered their numbers as well:


Dr. Shulze’s Superfood, which has an enormous amount of vitamin B (Kim you really need to check into this one) or a good multivitamin such as Rainbow Light

Coenzyme Q-10, 100 mg. at least twice daily

Omega 3's by Nordic Naturals called Ultimate Omega at least twice daily (or ground flax seed)

Triple Fiber by Renew Life, at least 6 capsules three times a day or the equivalent of 2 grams of soluble and insoluble fiber before each meal

Garlic & Lecithin by Kyolic, at least twice daily

Vitamin C 1000 mg., at least 2 to 3 times daily

Red yeast Rice & Guggel by Soloray, 2 caps twice daily

L-Carnitine 500 mg., at least once daily

Green or white tea


I also take the following for my heart:

Hawthorn 510 mg. by Nature’s Way, twice daily for regulating high blood pressure and arrhythmia

And Resveratrol by Soloray, 2 caps daily; Studies have demonstrated that resveratrol has potent antioxidant activity and also has the ability to inhibit platelet aggregation. These actions may help prevent free radical damage throughout the body and provide support to the cardiovascular system.

My 75-year-old mother lowered her cholesterol readings by 70 points and her triglycerides by 200 points in 6 weeks by taking these supplements. My doctor who is the head of cardiology had never seen a 1 to 1 ratio for cholesterol interviewed me about what supplements that I was taking. Of course exercise will dramatically reduce your blood fats as well. I'm a nutrition Nazi. I just wanted to share this with you.

Tyhitia Green said...

Whoa. This is so stupid. This is why I'm getting with my grandma and writing a natural remedy book.

Years ago, when people were dirt poor in the South (some still are!), both my grandmas came up with some cheap ways to stay healthy---and they worked!

Tanya said...

How is this for ironic. I work for a mail order pharmacy dealing with credit card issues. One of the disputes I had today was over this drug. Its so sad. People always turn to pills, before trying things (more natural remedies) that might require a little effort on their part.

Polly Kahl said...

Who gives a rat's ass about health. It's all about the money, and they'll do whatever lobbying is necessary to make sure they get it.

Artemisia said...

Years ago, my mom was debilitated by side effects from an RX. I don't remember if the doctor had simply forgotten to warn her - or if he didn't know about the possibility. Undoubtedly any negative studies about the drug had been suppressed - if they'd been done. Disclosure? Ha!

I remember at the time, I was working in the mutual fund industry, where full disclosure is heavily regulated. So we HAVE disclose all possible financial risks for investors, but hiding adverse information that affects people's health is A-OK?

Pass the chocolate. And some gin, please.