Friday, November 16, 2007

Why am I a Biomed Autism Mom?

Miss G. was a non-verbal toddler until close to 4. She had horrible tantrums. She had red papery cheeks, runny nose, terrible diaper issues. She ran screaming out of her classroom. She woke at night. She had odd movements, like chicken arms and constantly bending over at the waist. Her neuro told me she would be on Ritalin by first grade. Her EX-neuro.... I never believed the dire prognosis for my girls. It never felt right. Not for MY kids. I can't speak for anyone else's.

This is from her teacher today. Please note, Gianna does NOT eat Skittles which are high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors. Bad stuff for our kids. Gianna won an award for achievement this week, for her progress this year. I brought her a GFCF pizza so she could partake with the other kids. I baked it at 9:00am this morning.

"So today at lunch after you left, Gianna walked up to a little girl (who was eating skittles) and said, “What color skittle is your favorite?” And the little girl said, “Green and Red.” Gianna goes, “How about orange and purple?” The little girl said she likes those too and then G said “Cool!” I had tears in my eyes because she initiated that all by herself!!! I just had to share… Have a fabulous weekend!"

And that is why I bust my ass every day for my kids. We are 6 weeks into a new protocol. And it's working. Anyone who tells you to love our kids and leave them to stay as "God" made them is missing the boat. There is much we can do for our severely affected kids.

It's a big boat. We'll make room for you. We'll give you a life vest. We'll take care of you. Come on board. You don't have to call it "cure" or "recovery" if those terms offend you. I don't know if I'm curing or recovering anything. I don't care if I am or I'm not. I only know my child had a real conversation with a peer today.

Can't we all just call it love?

19 comments:

Artemisia said...

That's WONDERFUL!

Whatever works to give our kids their best shot at the fullest life possible.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Kim. You just ROCK! Your daughters just ROCK! Mark ROCKS!!

And I am going to toast you and your amazing will tonight as I drink my appletini!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Mmm, appletini! Gives me a huge headache but so fun to drink! Thanks, Manic. K

redheadmomma said...

Amen, sister. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Mom26children said...

Hey Kim,
How great for Gia...
I believe that is the goal for all parent's with children with Autism (or Autistic children)....to see them succeed and grow.
I bust my ass every day also, but just not the biomedical way.
I DO NOT mean this in a negative way...just that our main goals, as parent's, are all the same...the end results are from LOVE.
Our youngest and oldest are still very much in the "world of Autism"....they get better, but still very autistic.
Our 3 middle ones with Autism are almost non-distinguishable from their peers...in fact, they behave so much better than their peers.
I would love one day to toast our children, in person, with a great big Margarita...or limoncella...or.....all of the above.
Have a very Happy and safe Thanksgiving....
Jeanette

Mom26children said...

Me again,
Think kindly of me this weekend....turning 47 tomorrow and me, Kiernan and Erin all have bronchitis....
Jeanette

Anonymous said...

Not a great fan of skittles myself but I adore Smarties. Luckily you have to pay an arm and a leg to buy them over here, and M&M's are a poor substitute.

Great to hear about her progress, those social skills are the toughest to tackle.
Cheers

Stephen Parrish said...

Agree with Manic Mom: you rock.

Kathi said...

Kim, how wonderful! Yes, it's all about L O V E. Period.

Michelle O'Neil said...

If my child was born with diabetes, I'd give them the insulin they needed.

If my child was hit by a car, I'd get them rehab.

If my child had a heart condition, I'd get the surgery.

Treating isn't a lack of love or acceptance.

We can love and accept our children exactly as they are, and still hope for better health for them, better quality of life for them and for us.

Sometimes God guides us toward the right course of treatment.

Remember the flood, parable? Where God kept sending boats and helicoptors? And the guy kept refusing and drowned, and after his death he questioned God. And God says, what did you want? I sent you the boat! I sent you the helicopter, etc...I know the parable's been overdone, but it does apply.

Gianna is da bomb!

So is her mama.

Unknown said...

That is such great news. In the past few years I have definitely learned to notice and appreciate every bit of progress my son makes.

For me it took a real mindset change. I had to learn to see the good things instead of constantly dreading the things that weren't there.

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT!! And she didn't pinch one either - which is even more BRILLIANT!!!

Just the lift I needed.

PS. glad we're over the whole cure/recovery/you can't do that bug.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Nope. Gianna knows, "Colors mean chemicals." Sad, huh? I had to read and re-read "pinch." Oh, you mean sneak? Steal? Filch? Snag?

Today G navigated a bday party and the mom called to tell me how well she did. More to blog tomorrow.

We spent about a million dollars on shoes today for the kids. ARGH!

Drama Mama said...

I LOVE that Miss Jiggy G!!!! I love you for loving your girls so fiercely.

Go Mama Bear, GO!

The Muse said...

You are SUCH a loving mother and inspiration to so many people, Kim. This post made me tear up. I think that I have told you this before; but God chooses "special" people to give "special" children to...

Holly Kennedy said...

Wonderful post, Kim!

Laura said...

Go, Gianna! Go, Stagliano family! Love hearing these great stories!

Essential Amy said...

I posted but it didn't show up, so forgive me if I repeat myself. I just wanted to say that you have explained the biomed quest brilliantly Kim. I felt like I had to justify my decisions to so many people in the early days, especially with 'the diet'. My family gave me a really hard time. I really stopped giving a crap what they thought and just went on with it, but it really hurt not to have their support. First and foremost a happy and healthy child is why I did it, it was a decision made with love, not with intent to change the core of who my child was. At any rate, thanks for explaining it better than I ever could. And way to go Gianna!!!!

Melly said...

Wonderful post! Thanks for that.