Sunday, November 12, 2006

Blog Fog

Last night I was blog hopping and found myself at "reading under the covers", the blog of book reviewer Bella Stander. www.readingunderthecovers.blogspot.com Yes it was Saturday night and I should have been out painting the town red, or a least a pale, sickly pink. No such luck.

We're new to our town and finding a sitter for three kids with autism is, ah, a challenge. And while we have one lovely, highly capable young woman who has sat for us, when we go out I spend the evening fretting about my youngest who is extremely attached to me and often cries the entire time I'm away. She doesn't speak, which is both pleasing and horrifying to your average sitter. And then I get panicky for the babysitter and say stupid things like, "Here, let me pay you $20 an hour" or "Sure, invite your boyfriend over next time and what kind of beer does he like?" to cover my awkwardness that she might have a rough night with my kids. But, I'm also the woman who makes the hotel room bed so the maid doesn't think I'm a slob. A middle child, must-please-the world-at-any-cost-to-myself" oddball. Damn I miss our au pair!

Anyway. Ms. Stander had a post about her birthday, her 39th/again kind of birthday. And instead of commenting that in 2006 I celebrated my "second 21st" birthday, I said 21 squared, which would make me 441. On my worst days I don't feel a minute over 94. Bella responded that I must have meant 1681, which is 41 squared. And no where in my math calcs did any number look wrong. I mean I was in a complete brain fog. Could have been the chocolate malt? That crazy Saturday night beverage? :)

5 comments:

Maddy said...

We have a lot in common. It's fun this blog hopping!
Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Doug Gabriel has ruined my weekend.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Please, Harv, I have to live here...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JR's Thumbprints said...

You should've consulted me on your math problem. Afterall, I teach it.