Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Today I made history.

I am a registered Democrat in CT. Now, before you jump down my throat for my political persuasions, let me tell you that I was a registered Independent from age 18 - 36. I've moved several times, to different states. I've also been a registered Republican. I really am an Independent. I have only registered for a party when I had a real, heartfelt desire to see a certain candidate elected in the Primary. (No it wasn't George Bush when I was an (R).)

Today, I took the vote sheet in my hand and marveled that for the first time in the history of this nation, I was choosing for either a Black Man or a Woman. I felt a deep wave of emotion. I know that sounds sappy. I almost whipped out my cellcam to take a photo of the ballot, but I thought I'd launch a wave of heart attacks among the elderly poll workers. A man of color and a woman on the ballot. My oh my what a wonderful day.

5 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

'Tis.

Stephen Parrish said...

I know that sounds sappy.

Go ahead and be sappy. It is truly a wonderful event. A Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket would be the most exciting in U.S. history.

Paulita said...

I agree, Kim. So why do I feel so anxious, thinking that the old white man will probably win again?

Laura said...

Isn't it amazing? Just imagine the kind of candidates our children could be voting for!

Amanda said...

Well I'm waiting with baited breath to see if the US has the courage to go for it or if the pensioner will get in AGAIN!