Thursday, December 22, 2011

House of Cards 200 pixelsKim Stagliano Presents House of Cards A Romantic Suspense Novel

I'm grinning from ear to ear: "It's a book!" House of Cards, a funny, fast paced romantic suspense is now available in e-book format. (Paperback in 2012.) The book is pure fiction - not my life - been there, wrote the book (ha ha All I Can Handle the Memoir). I hope that House of Cards will be another way to tell the world about the autism epidemic and what it does to an entire family - in a zany, fast paced chick lit style format. And well, I got to kill someone finally, and that ain't bad!

Click HERE to purchase House of Cards for just $2.99. Please "like" the book on Facebook and when you're done reading, leave a review. Once purchased, you can lend the book to a friend using the new Amazon lending program. And you can download to lots of devices - iPhone, computer, Blackberry, Droid and more. You can find the Kindle Apps HERE.

Here's a taste:

My name is Kat Cavicchio, and I’m the youngest in a family of four kids. I call my sisters and brother “good, better and best.” You can see where that leaves me. I’m the only female in two generations to have been divorced. I had split with my college sweetheart at age twenty-eight after three “un” years with him. Unhappy. Unfaithful. Unreproductive (thank God.) I dumped every reminder of him possible, including his ludicrous last name—Sprenkle. What the hell was I thinking when I married him anyway? Kat Sprenkle. It sounded like a brand of kitty litter.

Despite her liberal bent, my mother lived in fear that I’d never find another husband and would end up lonely and poor. You can take the Italian out of the old country, but blah, blah, blah.

My constant money woes troubled my father, who had never made a fortune as a college professor but had taken appropriate care of his finances, allowing us kids to have a happy childhood, and him and Mom a comfortable pre-retirement. I had a tendency to eat more meals in his kitchen than my own, which was all the proof he needed of my near-insolvency. He was concerned that I’d hit up my 401K money once my savings were gone. I was about six months shy of calling Fidelity. I’d have to put off quitting my job until another day, or decade, unless my next interview panned out.

With any luck (except my own), my days of writing press releases for Acme were coming to an end. No more writing sentences like: “Acme Computer Systems seamlessly integrates high-level platforms, software, and services into high-value, low-risk information infrastructure solutions that help organizations maximize the value of their information assets and automate more of their overall infrastructure.” Can anyone actually read a sentence like that without drifting into the ozone?

I was actively looking for a new job. How long can a girl dream up gobbledygook for dry-as-toast clients? In Boston, where I was born and raised, a huge chunk of the available biz was in the medical, biotech or software industries.


I wanted to work for a consumer-goods company. You know—write about a product I could actually use and understand. But there weren’t any tanning-bed companies in Massachusetts. By the grace of God, and monster.com, I’d just spotted the perfect job opening at a toy company that had relocated its sales and marketing staff from Providence, Rhode Island to a new office complex, minutes from my house in Newton, a suburb west of the city.

The mere thought of not having to ride the lumbering 502 bus from Newton Corner into Copley Square every day made me smile. The bus itself wasn’t so bad, thanks to my Sirius app, but the 15-minute walk from Adams Terrace up to the bus stop in rain and snow was tedious.

The prospect of free toys was also appealing. Most of my friends were popping out babies with alarming regularity, and my sisters each had two of their own. Every month, it seemed there was a birth, birthday, Hanukah or Christmas, all requiring a gift from old Auntie Kat. Plus, the salary at the toy company was $17,000 more than I was making on the agency side. That’s a lot of toys. And black coffee for me.

I packed up my bag and headed into the lobby to sneak out for my interview, hoping to avoid my boss. My luck held until the elevator doors opened, revealing a heavy-set older woman in a khaki-colored pashmina that encircled her bulging torso like a boa constrictor.

“Kat! Off for an early lunch?”

“Er, hi, Margaret. No, I have a dentist appointment today. I sent you an email, and I have my laptop, so I can work on the Pettengill new product release from home.”

“Of course. Goodness, your teeth have been bothering you lately, haven’t they?”


BUSTED. Think fast.

“It’s my wisdom teeth. I might have to have them pulled. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon, so I’ve had a couple of appointments. I’ll call you later.”

As the doors closed, I sighed. I needed another story to cover my interviews. By now I could have had a full set of dentures.

Click HERE to purchase House of Cards for just $2.99. Please "like" the book on Facebook and when you're done reading, leave a review. Once purchased, you can lend the book to a friend using the new Amazon lending program. And you can download to lots of devices - iPhone, computer, Blackberry, Droid and more.

House of Cards 200 pixelsKim Stagliano is Managing Editor of Age of Autism. Her new novel, House of Cards; A All I Can Handle 50 pixel Kat Cavicchio romantic suspense is available from Amazon in all e-formats now. Her memoir, All I Can Handle I'm No Mother Teresa is available in hardcover, paperback and e-book.

No comments: