Thursday, December 10, 2009

Let's Make Gluten Free Whoopie Pies!

I love to bake. And my kids are gluten and casein free, so I sort of have to bake. We made holiday shaped Whoopie Pies this weekend. A Whoopie Pie is a sandwich of two pieces of soft cake with a cream filling (almost like an Oreo but softer) inside. So, follow our story, won't you?

First, you need a helper. Bella stepped up to the plate.
I tried the new BC GF mix. Excellent. I was really pleased with it.

Use a holiday shaped "Cookie" pan. They make nice detailed shaped cakes. Only fill them about halfway, to cover the full shape, otherwise they'll rise too high and dome.

Mmm, here's the first pan. Cakey! Holiday-ey!


Cooling on a Santa mat. Onto the filling. I couldn't remember how to make it. Fear not! I have a cookbook!
When I was 11, my Mom gave me, "Kim's Cookbook." In it is a recipe for Whoopie Pies. Along with Chinese candy (remember the butterscotch chip and chinese noodle candy?) and many other favorites. I've had this book for close to 35 years and I treasure it. I bought a replacement on e-bay just in case anything ever happens to this onw- shocked to find it! The publisher was part of American Greetings, I think. Oh, you can't believe I'm that old? Ha! Look down.

My Mom inscribed the book. Isn't that the very best?!

Here are the ingredients for the filling. I used a Kosher corn free powdered sugar - although any kind will do.
Here's the finished product. Yum. I think. Are they good?
Gianna looks pretty happy! Guess they ARE good!

13 comments:

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

G: "That's me!" Now that's BIG. She used a me instead of her own name. And then she said, "Gianna is pretty." LOL!

Cheryl Kauffman said...

That is one thing I really miss about New England. There are no whoopie pies in Florida. If you have the recipe I would really love it if you could email it to me.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Cheryl, Oreo makes a version called, "Cakesters" I believe. And Steve's in Maine makes the MOST DELISH Whoopie Pie and they ship. http://stevessnacks.com/ And Vermont Country Store has them too. The recipe is just any cake, and the filling 3/4 cup shortening, 3/4 sifted confex sugar, 6 tablespoons of Fluff (marshmallow creme) 1 tsp vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat it up into a cream.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Did you see that "oreo" cookie cake pan at Williams Sonoma? You could make a giant whoopie pie... Yum.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Amy I did! It's awesome.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Amy I did! It's awesome.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Gianna IS pretty!

Love how happy Bella looks in that pic too.

Yum for Whoopie Pie!

Amanda said...

Inspirational, my American friend, inspirational. Mini Victoria sponges coming up....that would be the Brit version. :D

Amanda said...

Sorry, I just realised what you said - Miss G said "that's ME!" Go Miss G!! I needed that today. The Gorgeous Miss G does it again.

Bridgett said...

Those look awesome!
Where did you get your pan? That's very cool.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Christmas Tree Shoppe - but they're everywhere. Target, WalMart, fancy stores too. This one was $2.99, right in my budget!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Roger, there's a product called RiceMellow - no corn. And you can get Kosher confex sugar made with tapioca starch too. If you were closer I'd bake you a batch!